Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Should I buy a used Land Rover Discovery?

I'm looking into buying a used vehicle, something 4x4. I am finding many Land Rover Discovery II (year 2000ish) that are under $5000. Why do these vehicles lose their value so fast? My husband is a pretty good mechanic, but I was wondering if these vehicles are hard to work on? Do they have many problems? Would you recommend one?

Thanks!Should I buy a used Land Rover Discovery?
As stated before, Land Rovers are notoriously unreliable vehicles. I have also found them (Discovery models) to be uncomfortable.



I have always wondered why folks see Land Rover as a "luxury" brand, when the reality is actually quite the opposite. Discoverys are not cheap when new, and you can get a far better vehicle for the same price. And, as alluded to before, they sink like a rock in water when it comes to resale value.



So, if you REALLY want to keep your husband busy in the garage, get the Discovery.



**Add -- sorry, thumbs-down me all you want. Pick up any consumer magazine (Consumers Guide or Cosumer Reports) and you'll see exactly what folks on here are talking about.



**ADD2- Alfred... after being on here awhile and learning that the same 'ol BS is gonna pop up daily, I've pretty much given up on any kind of war being "winnable".
If you end up buying a Discovery, don't buy a 2003. They had a high oil pump failure rate. Once the oil pump fails your engine is destroyed.

Report Abuse

Should I buy a used Land Rover Discovery?
I have a 1996 Discovery with 181k miles and I cant think of a car that I would like more. I am trying to do most repairs by myself and in no way do i consider myself a mechanic however, if you do have any inclination on how to fix cars I would say go for it! easy repairs if you know what to do.

Report Abuse


My father has owned 3 discoverys over the past decade.....they do not hold there value well but then again in todays market no car does as such......they are within the average bracket of fuel consumption but are gr8 offroad vehicles and the added seats in the boot offer an attractive possibility to carry 7 passengers in the 1 car......for my father he never had an unreliable expierince in the model you mentioned however his current 07 model did lose power steering requiring a garage stop.....Should I buy a used Land Rover Discovery?
they lost their value quickly because they were incredibly cheaply made. even when they left the factory, the glove box would open when the passenger door closed.



they're notoriously unreliable and incredibly slow. they were vastly improved during the mkIII generation (discovery 3, lr3) but the model you're looking at is cheap for a reason.



i'd recommend a toyota land cruiser or nissan pathfinder instead.
I would not recommend one. They are very costly to own. Reliability is a big issue with the Discovery and your husband will spend a lot of time working on it. Something similar that may still have status but be reliable would be a Toyota Land Cruiser. The land cruiser will run for more money but are much more reliable and much cheaper parts. Thanks
Who knows, ElGrande. When I see shows on Animal Planet or Net Geo about some wilderness trip in Africa being shot from a Land Rover, I do not think "luxury", either.



Heck, and Expedition or Navigator would be less hard on the repair budget. Maybe.
They are cheap because they are notoriously unreliable and guzzles gas. I'm surprised your mechanic husband hasn't told you this.



If you want a cheap SUV, get something like a Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Toyota 4-Runner or Nissan Pathfinder.
They lose their value fast for two reasons. They are way overpriced to begin with and they are one of the least reliable car sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment